Monday, April 25, 2011

Read Elder Marsh teach us all a little about the lessons from Peter

So the weeks have been FLYING by here in Huatabampo. We are almost
done with this transfer! It ends the 7th of next month I´m pretty
sure. I´m glad to hear my family had a great time with all the Easter
Activities! Claudia filled me in completely on what you all did. With
the huge dinner with the usuals. How fun! I sure missed out. We didnt
do very much here at all. Normal Sunday. No one ever gave a talk about
the Resurrection :( That part was kind of sad. But I still remembered
the Savior when I took the Sacrament. Anyways, something cool that did
happen over the Easter weekend was I ate menudo! I asked one of the
members here if she would make it for us and she did. Out of
EVERYTHING I have eaten from a cow, (liver, heart, tongue, and
stomach) the menudo was what I liked the most. It is really weird, and
smells like feet. But the soup part is really good and the stomach
part you dont really taste if you just swallow it.

As for investigators. We are still working, but no one else really is.
Elder Rea and I find a bunch of people, but getting them to progress
is always the real challenge. We still are working with a man named
Fransisco. I dont remember if I have said anything about him. His wife
and son are members, and he comes to church about every week. But he
is tough to get to read and pray. He wants to change himself and be a
better man, but he is slow to commit to baptism. He wants to, but not
so soon. We also found a super old guy named Enrique. We met with him
twice and had to drop him because he left for a different city and
doesnt know when he will be back. But he was about 80 something,
barely could hear. We invited him to be baptized and said he already
was, but why not again! But then he left. So, he wont be getting
baptized after all. Elder Rea and I are working with a youth named
Alfonso, 18. We were out one night looking for a house of an
investagator. We couldnt find the house and got a bit lost. So we
turned another corner and found a Michoacana. (AWESOME little snack
bar things with all kinds of fresh fruit products and nachos). So we
grabbed some milkshake/fruit water things. Alfonso was working that
night and asked if we came from a school. We told him no and that we
are missionaries. He asked what a missionary is. So we contacted him,
and set up an appointment with him to come back the next day ;) But he
hasnt read, prayed, or gone to church either! So we are going to need
to keep working with him.

Huatabampo is rough, but I like it here a lot. And my companion is
really great. I have a lot of blessing here and 3 solid converts.
Well, basically solid. My first convert, Irene, we caught her smoking
again. And she had a cup of coffee. We went to her house to see her
and found her with her old habits again. She hasnt been smoking very
much, but we counseled her to keep reading. She actually almost
finished the Book of Mormon in the month since we baptized her. And
so, I poured out her coffee, we shared a few laughs, and went on our
way. My converts mean so much to me. Without them, it would be much
harder to be happy here.

So, I had a few run ins this week with some peole who wanted to Bible
Bash. Some of which, Jehova Witness who came to our house! I really
dont like to do the Bible Bash thing, because it really doesnt do
anything. They dont understand the true doctrine anymore after a fight
with missionaries than they did before. Nevertheless, they came to the
door, and inturrupted my study time with a ton of false doctrine. So
Elder Rea and I kind of sorta really tore apart everything he had to
say. After about 20 minutes of shooting down all of his false
doctrine, he introduced us to his companion. His 14 year old son! It
was funny, but we felt sort of bad, because he was way scared. We
actually had an incident like this again durning the week, but it
ended on a spiritual note and I ended up learning a bit. Elder Rea and
I went to see Alfonso and his michoacana. We were teaching him about
the Restoration when a group of youth came up with a bible and asked
what we were teaching. I didnt say much because there was a group of
about 7 people attacking our beliefs and how our prophet is false and
well, I was scared! But Elder Rea didnt need much help. After a while,
the youth he was talking to, we realized he was kind of shaking. He
had a scared look in his eye. The Spirit came upon Elder Rea and I at
about exactly the same moment and we realized how wrong what we were
doing was. Then we started speaking with love. With and intent to save
these youth, not prove them wrong. I felt prompted to speak up at this
point and tell the youth that we didnt want to take away his faith in
Christ and we didnt want to deny that he believed God lives. So I gave
him a Book of Mormon. Elder Rea invited him to pray about Prophets. He
told us that if God reveals more than what he already has in his life,
he would change. So, we kind of left it there and havent seen him
since.

What Elder Rea and I learned from this was exactly what happened when
Peter sliced the ear off of the Roman Soldier who came to take Christ
away. When the Romans came, Peter didnt even think, but witha flash
of a sword, cut off the ear. Jesus, in his infinite love, healed the
man of his wound. The Roman who came to take him. If we as
missionaries are just going around, slashing people Spiritual ears off
with the truth we have, we arent doing what the Savior wants. In fact,
we are doing the opposite. Then he has to heal the damage his Disciple
has caused.

And that about sums up what I have been doing here! I love the mission
so much. I learn every day. I am scared of the end of the transfer
because everyone says I am going to leave, and I dont want to leave
Elder Rea! He is teaching me so many things. So, we will keep working,
keeping finding, and keep testifying of Christ!

P.S. EVERYONE in a branch, ward, whatever, who is a MEMBER should
coonstantly be bearing testimony of the Restored Gospel to everyone
they can, then referring these people to the missionaries! Just do it.
You will recieve blessings.

Love you all,
Elder Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment